DIRECTIONS FOR TATTOOING
A few simple rules must be observed:
- Halter or muzzle the animal, if
- Cleanse the area to be tattooed,
using a cloth dampened with a cleansing fluid such as alcohol to remove
dirt, grease and wax.
- Insert the correct symbols in the
pliers and press down very firmly over the needles a thin rubber sponge
pad. This pad helps to release the needles from the Skin.
- Check the correctness of the symbols
by making a mark on a piece of paper.
- Smear ink on the needles and on
the skin, choosing an area free from freckles and warts if possible. Place
the symbols parallel to and between the veins or cartilaginous ridges of
the ear. The accidental piercing of a vein may spoil the tattoo.
- Make the imprints with a quick
firm movement and immediately apply a further amount of ink from the container
on the ear and rub vigorourisly and continuously for at least fifteen seconds
to ensure penetration. This is very important. The most effective method
is to rub thumb and forefinger, though a brush may be used.
- Remove the rubber pad and rinse
it and the needles in water, then dry. The sponge rubber pad should be
discarded when it begins to lose its elasticity. The brush, if one used,
should also be rinsed.
- Do not disturb the area until the
healing process is complete, which may be from 5 days to 21 days, depending
on the age of the animal.
- Keep a list of tattoo numbers with
name of animals and enter same in your private breeding record.